Patience

I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.

-Chinese Proverb

Charlie struggles to get all of his school stuff into his backpack.
"Weren't you here when we had a session about how to do that?" the teacher asks.
"I was here but I forgot." says the ten year old.
The teacher empties the backpack. "Watch. Put your books in like this," he says demonstrating
how to put the books in so their titles are visible."
"Now, try again," he tells Charlie.
Charlie slides in two spiral-backed notebooks, his grammar text and workbook and a math book and stuffs in a snack. "It all fits," he grins.
At the after-school club, Charlie drops the backpack to the floor while he opens his locker.
Nothing spills.
"See that," he says to his friend Kevin, who's scrambling after papers that slid out of his canvas back. "Packed it myself."

*Patience with children teaches not only the lesson at hand, but also gives children the pride of accomplishment that is necessary for building faith in themselves.

(Source: For the Love of Children: Daily affirmations For People Who Care for Children
by Jean Steiner and Mary Steiner Whelan)