Question of the Day: Can we be too flexible?

Question: Okay, so I  prepared for my science activity for the children. 
I practiced it and had it down to a "science." I was quite pleased that it worked-- In fact, I was very excited about it.  However, when I was working with the children, they were not interested in doing it the way I showed them.  Should I insist that they follow the specific instructions or should I be flexible? When is it flexibility and when are we being "push-overs?"

Answer: In our role as teachers in after-school programs our job is different from that of a classroom teacher. It is less structured.  Our job is not to teach the child a particular subject but to supervise the child's out-of-school time.  While children may be expected to keep on task at school, while at after-school time, they need a change of pace.  Children need to have fun.
Regardless of the activity that we have prepared for, the goal should be to enjoy the activity.
If having fun means changing the standard rules for a particular activity to fit the needs of the group, then by all means, change the rules.  Games and activities should serve the needs of the children, not the other way around.

(source: Elements of an After-school Program by Clairece Feagin)

The Chefs say:
What do you think? Please tell us!