From Fast food to Family Style


Image from culinarymenus.com
"The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange protein; it rejects it."
-PB Medawar

Throughout my years of running an after-school program for 70 children, there were many things that we did just because "that was the way it had always been done."
As I began the self study process of working towards NAA accreditation, I realized that what may have seemed to be the easiest way of doing something was not necessarily in the best interest of the children.

Case in point was snack time.

When I took over as director, the snack routine was already in place. All children would check in, wash their hands and line up to walk beside a long table that had snacks sitting in coffee filters followed by juice already poured into cups.  They would then have to walk back to their assigned tables which were by grade. (Yes, we had lots of spills! What were we thinking?)

As I began to understand the NAA standards, I realized that we were not giving the children any choices (first of when to eat and then what to eat). It was a time for change.

As anyone in the position of management has experienced, change can be difficult. In this case, it was most difficult for the staff. My desire to upgrade our standards was met with much opposition.

I wanted to serve snack family style. 
The tables were covered with tablecloths and adorned with center pieces. 
Children passed snack to one another, served themselves using tongs or plastic gloves and yes, poured their own drinks. It would be a time to enjoy each others company, socialize, eat and reinforce table manners.

My staff said:

"But if we do it that way, there will be a mess to clean up."
"There will be a lot of waste."
"It will take longer."

My reply was that the children will learn responsibility and would be empowered to decide when they were hungry.  The children would also learn to clean up their messes and spills (with assistance from staff).  I also realized that during school time,  the younger children were eating lunch 11:00 a.m. and the older children were eating at 2:00 p.m..  Needless to say, the younger ones were famished by the time they arrived at 3:30, while the older ones did not want a snack until 4:30.  In serving snack the old way, we were not meeting their needs by forcing everyone to eat right when they arrived all at the same time.

Eventually we succeeded in making the transition and it is one of the changes that I am most proud of.  I found that snack time became a time for building relationships (not only between children but between children and staff).  Sitting with the children while they snacked soon became my favorite time of day!

Just the other day I spoke at a professional development session and one of the SAC practitioners shared a great idea.  
Their program (Child Development Center, Inc. in Franklin,PA) uses a syrup dispenser for the young children to pour their juice. It is much smaller and the children are able to control it better than a regular pitcher. 
What a great idea! All I can say is we learn something new everyday.

by Suzanne Ashman