"You'll Never Catch Me on Stage"

"No, not me." She said that she would never get up on stage in front of people.
As an 11 year old, Jen was pretty adamant about that.
Her shyness was precluding her from joining her friends as they participated in the annual variety show.
She reminded me of myself.
I remembered what it felt like to be that age and I recalled my own battles with stage fright.
I decided to help her conquer this fear by giving her a purpose to be on stage.
I asked her to be one of the pole handlers in an ethnic dance called Tinikling.

I told her I needed someone dependable.
Someone who would not drop the poles nor catch a child's ankle with it.
At first she resisted, but she agreed to help with the practices.
Pretty soon Jen was the best pole handler.
She knew that she was important to the success of the dance number.
Finally she agreed to do it on stage, on the condition that she would have her back to the audience.
I agreed, but only if she promised to take a bow before and after the dance.
And she did.

I have had the chance to bump into Jen as a young woman today.
She told me that that experience was one of the biggest achievements of her young life--and it helped arm her with the confidence she needed to manage large groups of children at a local Boys and Girls Club.
Jen is now a senior in college doing her student teaching and I have no doubt will be an excellent teacher for years to come.

by Chesca S.

To see how this story is linked to the NAA standards, click here.

*We welcome your own heart warming stories about your work with children.